I Got Skills

Posted by Worship Team

Psalm 33:2-4 (NIV)
2 Praise the LORD with the harp; make music to him on the ten-stringed lyre.
3 Sing to him a new song; play skillfully, and shout for joy.
4 For the word of the LORD is right and true; he is faithful in all he does.

I often think about this and have to reevaluate this from time to time. Some people can be extremely skillfull but may not have a heart for worship. Others have a heart of worship but sound terrible. For one thing, I'm so glad that God is able to hear our heart and not necessarily our pitch or tonality.

I find it difficult sometimes, as I’m working on "bettering" my skills, to avoid the pitfalls of pride. Now I'm not saying I'm awesome, but I have a talent given to me from God. So right now, "Skillfully" means to me... that every technical advancement in my playing be credited to God, that the sounds I make are pleasing to Spirit and that I always strive to worship from my heart.

There is a challenge here and it's different for every musician. But what ever that is, step up. Find the motivation and incentive. I'll do the same.

-Kaisara

This entry was posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 at Tuesday, January 27, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 Responses

I was just talking to my wife about this before we went to bed for the night. I think that sometimes, we find ourselves cutting corners on the worship stage and letting the performance sound like a garage session because it's a ministry, and hey, my heart was in the right place.

But in Leviticus 10, God makes two smoldering holes in the ground out of Nadab and Abihu, who thought they could worship God just any old way with strange fire: worship offered to pagan things. Then Moses says to their father Aaron something to the flavor of (obvious paraphrase), "God just spent the last nine chapters telling us that He is Holy and He will be treated and approached as Holy; He even told us how. Your sons profaned God by bringing the common diety's common offering. Bottom line: God will be honored with or without us." Aaron did the right thing by keeping his mouth shut.

Their hearts were in the right place. They felt right about it. But God said to glorify Him and address Him as Holy, and so He was honored without them. Worship is not an emotional fix. That's the world's flavor these days. Feelings seem to be the ultimate justification for everything these days; as long as our hearts are in the right place, we let things slide and be loose. But despite how we feel, Truth still remains true. No feeling in the world can change what or who Truth is.

That is not to say that we cannot have feeling. Emotions are a response. But it is to say that feeling cannot be the ultimate justification that we bring to the altar to glorify God. Jesus is the ultimate justification, and only through Him can we worship as freely as we do. Anything else is a strange fire. It dances and moves just as much as feelings change to and fro. We cannot stand on a worship stage and use our "state of heart" as a means to excuse sub-par performance. Surely God will be glorified in the end, whether we decide to honor Him or discard our skillful hand in favor of good feelings. But hey. My heart was in the right place.

February 1, 2009 at 2:50 AM

Thanks for the reference in Leviticus 10. I believe this is also a lesson in obedience. God commanded them to give the burnt offering in a certain manner. They did not. It seems that doing as God commanded is not something to take lightly.

-K

February 1, 2009 at 9:57 PM

"we find ourselves cutting corners on the worship stage and letting the performance sound like a garage session because it's a ministry, and hey, my heart was in the right place"

seems to me ones heart's not in the right place if that's how one is approaching leading others in worship. the fact that it's ministry leads me to believe that no corners are to be cut & one is to give the very best they have to offer the Lord. If one does not offer their best to the Lord how dare they offer it to someone/something else.

February 4, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Post a Comment