Jesus, Lover Of My Soul

Posted by Worship Team in

This sunday we'll be playing one of my favorite hymns, "Jesus, Lover Of My Soul". Charles Wesley wrote the lyrics in 1740, while hiding under a hedge from a group of men who had attacked him because they didn't approve of his doctrine. The history is so important because it really puts into context the desperation of the hymn. Wesley feared for his life and his first instinct was to cry out to God. That tone changes, however, by the final verse. It's almost as if, by the time Wesley was ready to write that last verse, God had already given him peace and quieted his heart in the midst of the danger.


I had never heard this song until a little over a year ago when my grandmother passed away. My dad was praying over what music would be appropriate for her memorial service, and this hymn was chosen. The lyrics struck me so much that I went and searched it out on iTunes and bought several versions of it. Every time I hear the song, it takes me back to the moment when my grandmother passed, her family gathered around her, and God's peace filling the room, just as he had done for Charles Wesley. As we sing it this weekend, we want to remember Christ, our first love, and the peace that is only found in him.

-Daryl


Jesus, Lover Of My Soul
(Charles Wesley)

Jesus, lover of my soul, let me to Thy bosom fly
While the nearer waters roll, while the tempest still is high
Hide me, oh my Savior, hide, 'til life's storm is past
Safe into the haven guide, receive my soul at last

Other refuge have I none, I helpless hang on Thee
Leave, oh leave me not alone, support and comfort me
All my trust on Thee is stayed, all help from Thee I bring
Cover my defenseless head in the shadow of Thy wing

Thou, oh Christ, are all I want, here more than all I find
Raise the fallen, cheer the faint, heal the sick and lead the blind
Just and holy is Thy Name, I am all unrighteousness
False and full of sin I am, Thou art full of truth and grace

Plenteous grace with Thee is found, grace to cover all my sin
Let the healing streams abound, make and keep me pure within
Thou of life the fountain art, let me take of Thee
Spring Thou up within my heart for all eternity


This entry was posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 at Friday, February 20, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 Responses

Post a Comment